Articulating Truck Cranes
See Current Listings
Commercial Truck Equipment carries a large range of articulated or knuckle boom cranes. Articulated truck cranes are used in the construction, oil & gas, marine, mining, transportation and forestry industries throughout Western Canada.
We offer a wide variety of models of knuckle boom truck cranes to suit a wide range of applications. These articulated truck cranes or folding cranes have a lift capacity up to 200 tons.
With the growth of building construction and the need to place wallboard or drywall into an elevated work site, the use of the articulated wallboard truck crane is a good match. Marine applications are ideal for the articulated folding crane; mounted on a boat, barge or dock, the knuckle boom cranes, because of their maneuverability, make the articulated crane the ideal marine crane. In the oil & gas industry, the need to get goods to the job site quickly has resulted in the hot shot articulated crane truck being the preferred choice. These oilfield supply trucks are equipped with a picker (articulated) crane to make the job easier. Servicing equipment in the field demands that an articulated crane be mounted on the field service truck. We carry parts and perform service for all makes of articulated cranes.
Advantages of Articulating Cranes (Knuckle Boom Cranes,Picker Cranes)
Knuckle boom cranes, also referred to as picker cranes, have always been popular in Europe and are becoming more popular in Canada. Articulating cranes have a more compact size and offer several advantages:
- Greater payload weight: the knuckle boom crane is lighter to allow the same delivery to be done in fewer trips.
- Greater installation flexibility: the articulated crane can be mounted behind the cab or at the rear of a unit, allowing the weight to be distributed on the axles as needed by the work truck application.
- More maneuverability: where stiff boom cranes are good at lifting a load high into the air, articulating truck cranes excel at lifting loads horizontally.
- Multiple attachments:c common attachments include pallet forks, grapples, buckets, and more.
- Shorter set up times: articulating cranes typically pick with a load hook instead of a winch; set up times are usually accelerated.